Sunday, January 20, 2019
maybe a bit of background is necessary. we've long had bird feeders around the yard, and he's been known to use the kitchen sink's spray nozzle to squirt at them thru the screen, try noise makers, or air pumps to detract them from the cardinal's sunflower bird feeder just outside our kitchen window. our prior next door neighbor buddies even found an approximately 2x18" sign that reads "BEWARE OF ATTACK SQUIRREL" and mounted it nearby the feeder to gently harass him.
not that I torture the man unmercilessly, but one year I went to great lengths at Christmas and gave him a large gift bag of squirrel-related items - a book, mug, hat, shirt, stuffed toy, Squirrel Wars DVD (it'd been a 2004 40-minute show that aired on PBS and is both enlightening and very funny), AND very nice squirrel-proof bird feeder that has an outer cage that drops down to cover the access to seed openings if something heavier than the usual and customary bird lands on it. the silly squirrels STILL attempt to land on it now and then. we've since added 5 more feeders to the back yard and are regulars at our local J J Cardinal's Wild Bird & Nature Store. If you're local to Grand Blanc MI you should really scope them out... and tell 'em Sue sent you!
Tuesday, January 1, 2019
today's topic: on FAV MOVIES
I didn't hit the movies as often as I would've liked this past year. one of my movie buddies has moved south and it just didn't happen all that often, but I did manage to see the following flix in order of appearance:
- Forever My Girl - even tho' it was formulaic it was still a great one
- Black Panther - the Marvel superheroes never disappoint
- I Can Only Imagine - the story behind the song, and both are favorites
- Avengers: Infinity War - the Marvel Avengers just kept on coming; I sat there thinking, "who ELSE will be in this?!" as I purposely avoided checking previews
- Book Club - nice, but I expected so much more from the stellar cast
- Solo: A Star Wars Story - I'm of the camp that you can love BOTH the Star Trek AND Star Wars series
- Oceans Eight - sigh... another stellar cast but this one was disappointing
- Yellow Submarine - awesome after all these years; nice to see the audience was mostly a 45/45/10 split between 50-65 year olds, 20-somethings, and those who brought their grandkids/kids. my 30YO son and I attended, and it's been a blast sharing the Beatles experience w him over the years (and kudos to SIRIUS for the Beatles channel)!
- Nutcracker and the Four Realms - definitely on my "to purchase" list, this one was GREAT!
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - I for one have been SO geeked that JKR decided to create prequels to the HP saga tho' I've gotta admit that, while I read each of the novels in rapid succession, I've yet to read the class books, one of which the Fantastic Beasts movies were based on. I LOVE the casting picks and anxiously await future releases.
- Ralph Breaks the Internet - I've a computer background and thought the ways they depicted technology in the film were t'riffic
- Mary Poppins Returns - sigh ... still swooning here
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse - Sony, you folkes did Marvel-ous and I'm sure Stan Lee is smiling!