Saturday, November 27, 2010

movie weekend

With the extended weekend upon us, the Blondins (at least two of us!) took in Tangled, Disney's 50th full-length animated feature film! Loosely based on the German fairy tale, Rapunzul is still being raised by Dame Gothel, but now borne of royalty rather than rescued by a prince, and discovered by a good-natured thief on the lam. The Disney folkes have another winner on their hands, IMHO, with this one! It's got lots of action, a spunky heroine, loveable thief (think Aladdin combined with Robin Hood and Mel Gibson), magic, and the best parts of the original fairy tale. And did I mention that it's showing in either a Disney Digital 3D or IMAX 3D versions? We saw the Disney 3D version. It was subtle, for the most part, but I think made the film even better. I'm giving it 4-1/2 of 5 stars!

trivia alert: How many of Disney's animated films can you recall? New Orleans' Examiner.com recounts them here!

spoiler alert: Word on the Internet is that Tangled will be Disney's last animated fairy tale - at least for the near term. Production was reportedly stopped on The Snow Queen and Jack and the Beanstalk. From Pixar's Ed Catmull:
"Films and genres do run a course. They may come back later because someone has a fresh take on it … but we don’t have any other musicals or fairy tales lined up."

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Would it be giving away my age to own up to having seen 1-5 (in re-release, not when they originally came out), 12-17 (some of the latter when they first came out) and many others over the years. I'm a sucker for animation (it fascinates me how they do it) but probably won't see Tangled until it's on cable... UNLESS I go by myself or sweet-talk some friends into a movie night which is the just about ONLY way I can get my other half to join in going to a movie).