Friday, November 5, 2010

pretty bird?

I guess beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder!

I'll even begrudgingly agree that most woodpeckers ARE pretty birds, but I'm at war with this one. You see, it likes my house. Years ago, when house-shopping, one interesting item I'd noted about my current house when checking real estate listings, was that all three categories on the real estate listing for exterior were checked: brick, wood, and siding. Well, it's mainly dark brown siding, but the street side is partial brick and wood paneling that's stained close in color to the siding. It's unique in the neighborhood. Problem is, it's regularly visited by as assortment of woodpeckers; this one's been the most stubborn to date! It's a Downy Woodpecker; they're about the size of a sparrow which makes them America's smallest woodpecker. Maybe I'm going about this war the wrong way, though. Instead of shooing them away when I hear the rat-a-tat, maybe I'll see what they like to eat and try to start leaving that out so they'll leave my poor house alone!

1 comment:

Kimmi said...

If you can't beat 'em - feed 'em