Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day

Today's card is a simple red, white, and blue one as it's a federal holiday in the U.S. and we're honoring men and women of our armed forces. In keeping with Veterans Day tradition, President Obama laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia, saying, "While it is important and proper that we mark this day, it is far more important we spend all our days determined to keep the promises that we've made to all who answer this country's call."

On Veterans Day, I thought it was appropriate to site some statistics about veterans and mental health:
  • Almost one in three veterans returning from Afghanistan and Iraq confront mental health problems.
  • On an average day in this country, suicide claims another 18 veterans.
  • Approximately 30 percent of veterans treated in the veterans health system suffer from depressive symptoms, two to three times the rate of the general population.
  • More Vietnam veterans have now died from suicide than were killed directly during the war.
I watched a special on HGTV about some vets receiving home make-overs and these NAMI statistics really drive home that we must support our veterans!

I thought I had a stars embossing folder ... but alas, I guess I don't. My hand held star punch and my Silhouette were in the master bedroom where my DH was taking an afternoon nap, so I winged it with the dots - inspired by a card I'd spotted on Kim Dellow's blog the other day (here - thanx for the inspiration, Kim!) and all square shapes based on Sharon's ssnotime110 square challenge. Well, hope you have a t'riffic day, folkes! I'm off to gather more leaves in our back yard before we lose our daylight!

stamps: studio g's series 30; paper: SU's Real Red, Whisper White card stocks; ink: Color Box Blue Iris chalk ink; accessories: Cuttlebug with Swiss Dots embossing folder

1 comment:

Kim Dellow said...

Oh that is just a fabulous take on the card Sue! I'm honoured that one of my cards could lead to this beauty :) Hope you managed to clear up those leaves! Kimx