Tuesday, May 4, 2010

recycling challenge winners!

Whoo hoo! The university that I work at (insert shameless plug here for Kettering University) recently participated in and won a local College Recycling Challenge with 6.05 pounds of recycled material per student. Our community dragged in paper, cardboard, & plastic to add to a big blue bin stationed on our campus for two weeks in April. This put us nearly 4 pounds per student ahead of our nearest competitor, Mott Community College. Read how we completely decimated the competition!

I'm a long-time recycler and brought lots of stuff from home and my department to participate in the challenge, and encouraged my whole work group to participate. Heck, I ALMOST drove thru my neighborhood to collect items from recycling bins on trash pick-up day! We have curbside recycling in the township where I live, and they recycle aluminum, paper, cardboard, glass, magazines, newspaper, plastic, steel, tin, etc. I feel fortunate as I USED to have to drive about 30 minutes north of here to bring my recycling to a recycling station that has since closed. How 'bout you? I'm wondering how many of you live in areas where they've instituted curbside recycling programs.

For this card I double stamped the tree, then stamped the woodgrain background on the tree and cut the trunk out; I sponged the leaves with Kiwi Kiss and colored the rest of the image with markers and a white gel pen. And my inspiration piece? Here; don't you just love Pink Petticoat?

stamps: Hero Arts' Woodgrain Pattern, Unity's Plant A Tree; paper: SU's Designer Series Paper Patterns in Kiwi Kiss, Creative Memories' Neutral and The Paper Co's Kraft card stocks; ink: Stazon's Timber Brown, SU's Close to Cocoa, Kiwi Kiss, Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Ruby Red, and Summer Sun markers, and Inksentials' white opaque pen; tools: Fiskar's threading water border punch

1 comment:

Joan B said...

This is an adorable card. We have had curbside recycling for oh, about 25 years! LOL